×

Yellowstone National Park trailheads

Wander the wilderness of America's first national park

Save to my Account

Ninety-eight percent of visitors to Yellowstone experience about 2 percent of the park. Here’s your chance to be among the 2 percent who explore the other 98 percent. The Black Butte, Specimen Creek, Daly Creek, Tepee Creek, Bacon Rind, Fan Creek, Fawn Pass and Bighorn Pass trails depart from US 191 and within minutes transport hikers to a backcountry experience.

A favorite among locals is the Bighorn Pass/Fawn Pass loop. Both trailheads are along US 191, about two miles apart. It’s roughly four miles on both trails until a trail connecting both, making for a 10-mile round-trip hike.

Bears (grizzly and black), deer, coyotes, elk and the occasional wolf are seen on these trails. Bring bear spray and plenty of water. Bacon Rind is the only trail to go west from US 191. It starts in Yellowstone National Park and then enters the Lee Metcalf Wilderness Area, where expansive views and elk herds await.


At A Glance

Price:
free

Comments, Tips & Hints

Login

You need to login to favorite a post.

Need to sign up? Create an account here.

Forgot your password? Reset your password here.