The work, which is based on the Seven (Christian) Corporal Works of Mercy, was commissioned by the Pio Monte della Misericordia (Pious Mountain of Mercy) charitable organization and one might say, it represents their guiding principles, then and now. More works of art, mainly from the 16th – 19th centuries can be found upstairs in the picture gallery (Quadreria).
– Use the nearby museum touchscreen to examine Caravaggio’s painting in greater detail.
– See a bird’s eye view of the work from the picture gallery.
– The Seven Works of Mercy is one of 23 Caravaggio works brought to life in the Tableaux Vivants performance staged by the Museum of the Naples Diocese.
– Enjoy a contemporary take on the subject: the foundation invites visiting and local contemporary artists to create their own works based on the Seven Works of Mercy.
– Caravaggio’s Flagellation of Christ is at Naples Capodimonte Museum and his last work, the Martyrdom of Saint Ursula is at Galleria di Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano