* A l’alsacienne = with choucroute (sauerkraut, pickled cabbage). Added to the name of a dish.
* Choucroute = pickled cabbage; sauerkraut.
* Foie gras = fat liver (usually achieved by force-feeding ducks or geese). Strasbourg is a major producer.
* Baeckoffe = an Alsacien word meaning “baker’s oven.” A stew-like dish of potatoes layered with wine-marinated meat.
* Matelote = fish stew made with seasoned wine. French word meaning “sailor’s wife.”
* Tartes alsaciennes = dessert tarts made with local fruits.
* Kugelhopf = dome-shaped yeast cake made with almonds. Bundt cake.
* Bireweck = cake made with fruit marinated in Kirsch.
* Kirsch = brandy distilled from fermented cherry juice.
* Truiteau bleu = trout lightly cooked in wine and vinegar.