Everyone’s visit will be different, but here is a selection of top York highlights, rated by many visitors to inspire your own itinerary.
• Walls Walk Medieval Walls and gates
• Rail Museum A fascinating national attraction
• Footstreets Explore Shambles, Stonegate, Snickelways
• Walking Tour With a voluntary local guide
• Evensong Music in the Minster
• Castle Museum Accessible social history
• York Minster Tower climb optional but memorable
• Ghost Walk Jokey or Spooky, if you’re into that kind of thing
• Yorkshire Museum The wider historical picture in a small museum
• Fairfax House Georgian York revisited
===> Explore more local itineraries via the RELATED links below.
• Castle Museum Exploring rooms, streets and dungeons
• Jorvik A novel time-travel view of viking York, recreated by experts based on local finds
• Walls Walk Exploring, climbing and fun with the Retrace activity
• DIG Hands-on history with bones and poo
• Cliffords Tower A real castle keep with views
• Yorkshire Pudding Local fare, though never a pudding
• Fish and chips National fare with a Yorkshire twist
• Chocolate eg Yorkie, After 8, KitKat: All made in York, one of the first chocolate centres
• York Beer From the local York brewer
• Afternoon tea Lots of choice here, perhaps with Yorkshire curd tart?
• Precentor’s Court A Minster surprise view
High Petergate, behind Bootham Bar, via passage at side of Hole in the Wall pub
• Lund’s Court / Hornpot Lane A hidden route to Holy Trinity Church
Off Low Petergate, Lund’s Court on one side, Hornpot Lane, with plaque, on the other
• Powell’s Yard Middle Ages atmosphere by gaslight
Off Goodramgate, behind Monk’s Bar, entry at side of Angler’s Arms pub
• Coffee Yard Narrow, medieval, with tunnels
Off Stonegate, by Printer’s Devil, leading to Grape Lane
• Lady Peckett’s Yard Down past the Cordwainer’s haunt
Off Pavement, opposite Marks and Spencer’s side entrance, leading on to Fossgate.