Banff has all sorts of good hiking trails in and around town which are so close you can even walk to some of them.
The key hikes not to miss – in order of difficulty are:
• The Bow Falls loop: this riverside
trail offers the best introduction to Banff without much effort.
• The Fenland Trail: another easy option
and good for watching wildlife.
• Sunshine Meadows: In summer a shuttle
bus takes you to the sort of high-alpine terrain it would take all day to
reach, then offers some easy and very scenic trails.
• Tunnel Mountain: Banff’s own little
mountain rises from its midst and provides excellent views up and down the
valley and over town.
• The Cory Pass Trail: If you’re on the
lookout for a serious day-hike, this is one of the best.
• The Sawback Trail: One for fans of
overnight backpacking, this high-alpine trail leads between Banff and Lake